Thursday, February 12, 2009

One Layout Just Isn't Enough

Regis has another post up about his new UI layout. While his previous setup was designed for the healer role, the new one is focused on Choppa he's got planned. This got me thinking. Why do I have to have the same layout for all of my characters? Like Regis, I've found that the different roles have different information requirements. I couldn't even attempt being a competent healer without Squared, and unless I'm playing my White Lion or Shadow Warrior a DPS meter is just depressing. So I've come up with an idea:

I'd like to be able to save a UI profile. I'd like to be able to create several of these profiles to meet the needs of my different characters. The profile should store both the standard UI as well as the location and configuration of addons. I want to be able to apply any profile I make to any of my characters (even if it's restricted to one server). And I want each character's UI profile to be stored with them on the server, instead of having to re-create everything when I borrow a friend's machine at a LAN party. Sure, addon specific stuff wouldn't work, but at least I wouldn't have to reset the action bar to use 4 bars every time. Bonus points for allowing me to save a copy of the configuration locally and apply it to a character on a different server.

This request is for the altaholic, addon addicted players like me out there. It would save us some time and headaches. Granted, this idea should probably wait till after Mythic feels comfortable with RvR and Fortress/City Sieges. But I figured I might as well get it out there and try to get it stuck in a developer's head.


Originally posted at WARnPieces.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. i totally agree. UI customization is a requirement for optimal playing imo

    ReplyDelete