Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Maladorn's Progress: The Long March to 40

The time: 9 A.M.
The place: My sleepy brain.
The call: brrrrring brrrrrrringg

"Hmmm? Wha...? Oh right. An update on Maladorn... sure, I remember promising that. What? Last Friday? Well yeah, but today is only.... TUESDAY!! Holy moose lips, Batman, where did the time go? I gotta write a post!"

Yes, my friends, this is the long-awaited (sorry for the delay) update on my Warrior Priest avatar, Maladorn Fairnath. And as the title of this post probably gave away, I did make it to Rank 40 this last weekend. Last week I decided that in order to do Bastion Stair with my guild-mates and not waste everyone's time, I should rank up and hit 40. So to that end, I headed out to Praag and started questing like a madman. 

I worked my way right up through Chaos Wastes and even finished the epic weapon quest up there. Praag and CW where pretty interesting zones to work through. Praag has several quests that send the players over into West Praag, which offers a number of extra quest opportunities to help grind through the mid-30s. Chaos Wastes was my favorite T4 zone in this pairing. The combination of insane allies, enemies that aren't really enemies, and chaotic monsters was pretty cool. Also, the quests moved quickly, especially by Chapter 21 (the order hub just south of the war camp). My favorite NPC was the Stranger in Chapter 22. He's got the classic mysterious ally thing going, and his quests give the players a chance to embody the heroic attributes that seem so ingrained into the Empire. 

The Empire/Chaos pairing got me up to the high end of Rank 37, so I next went over to Dwarf/Greenskin. I started in Kadrin Valley this time, because I was curious about the whole Dwarf setup and didn't have the same background familiarity as I had with Empire. And it was probably a good thing too. Where Chaos Wastes were dark and brooding, the Dwarves felt almost goofy. I've never had to dig through so many digital piles of muck, sludge, and who knows what else. I can only say that I'm very glad we haven't gone so far as to put olfactory simulation cards into our computers yet. I'd have been smelling sulfur and squig dung all weekend. My favorite zone here was Black Crag, with the crazy RvR lake slipping in and around the PvE sections.

My only regret in Dwarf-lands was that the level 40 itch really started to eat at me bad, and I didn't take the same time that I had been to read through some of the quests and get a better idea of what was going on. But with a Saturday alone, I really wanted to try to make it to the end. Which I did, just in time to get an invite to an alliance party heading out to Bastion Stair. And since I only had the Annihilator gloves from the renown merchant, I went hoping for some good stuff.

We spent a little extra time running the PQs in order to get one guy up to having enough influence to run both left and right side bosses. It was amazing what a difference being just 4 ranks higher made in my ability to be useful. We took down the left side boss, the bull, in short order. He seemed to be a bit confused, because he didn't toss anyone until he was over 50% down, and then instead of tossing our only tank, he threw me toward the front door instead. Of course, my unlucky streak in the dungeon continued with no useable gear dropping from the boss. 

Next we headed over to right side. Lord Slaurith can be a beast, especially now that his terrify seems to make ressing impossible. The alliance folks hadn't done him very much, so we took a shot using a CoW strategy to try to keep the healers from getting demolished. First time, though, we didn't succeed. After a short break and a heal, we went back in to give it another try. This time we positioned our ranged healers a bit further away and gave the tank a little longer to get the bosses attention. Fortunately, our 3 healer, 2 dps, 1 tank setup worked out just long enough for us to take him down, and we only had 3 casualties! **whew** The victory was sweet, but the loot was not. Again, nothing useable for anyone in the party. That token system can't come fast enough.

So that was going to be my update that I planned on writing last night. But then, Order was doing some good things in RvR, like pushing the Dark Elf fortress, Fell Landing, so I put off writing and joined the fray. We quickly rolled through the fortress doors and waltzed up to the Lord. He went down as quickly as a keep lord in T2, making me wonder if perhaps Mythic should let a few more defenders in. However, a guildie quickly pointed out that while we were attacking the fortress in Dark Elf territory, the Empire fortress had been pushed. So it looks like Destruction sacrificed one fortress to try and take the other. But we held Riekwald too, and soon pushed into Praag. Attacking the north keep yielded me a +300 on contribution. Several tense seconds later, I was finally rewarded with my first gold bag from a keep since T3. Two hours later, (and waaaaaay past my bedtime) we flipped Praag and headed into Chaos Wastes. With a quick smash on the south keep, I was once again on the contribution leader board, this time with a +450! And against all odds, I rolled over 900 again and was rewarded with another new Annihilator piece. A guildie who was on at the time did a quick auction house hunt and found me the Annihilator boots, so I went from having 1 lesser ward to having 4 in one evening. What an exciting day! Whole new areas are now open to me, and while I'd prefer the Bloodlord set for stats and bonuses, I'll happily take my Annihilator and catch up to the guild in the city dungeons.

So there you have it! A wall of text critical update to feed all those who are curious. I shall now close with a passage from the Book of Sigmar*:
"For Sigmar hath heard our cries for fatter loots and better gears. And he hath granted unto us the strength of mighty champions, that we might go forth and suffer not the heretic to live."
* Book of Sigmar not guaranteed to exist outside of Maladorn's mind. Not valid with any other offers. Reading this could cause blindness, fatigue, muscle spasms, tainting with chaos, and minor abdominal pain. Sigmar accepts all major and minor credit cards. Maladorn accepts cash or PayPal. Book of Sigmar may be purchased for $4.95, with a small shipping and handling charge of $321,752.68. Not available outside the continental U.S. And yes, if you order one, I'll sit down and write it.

Originally posted at WARnPieces.blogspot.com

3 comments:

  1. =] book of sigmar indeed.... FOR THE FATTER LOOTS! I've got to say though... you are a lucky priest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two more keeps today, two more gold bags.... I've got to stop this run of luck, or I'll be in the city dungeons for forever on the karmic snap-back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to contact you. Would you mind emailing me at xerb.painhunter@warunderground.com?

    Thanks,
    Xerb

    ReplyDelete