Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Well Here's a Pleasant Surprise

About 6 weeks ago I wrote a post with a small request. And today I find in the 1.2.1 Patch Notes the following gem:

Character Profiles

Introducing the new character profile system, which gives you complete control over the way you play your characters! Each character will now have its own Interface Profile. This will allow customization of addons and UI layout on a per-character basis. You can also customize multiple profiles per character. For instance, if you want to have a different set of addons for soloing versus open RvR, just open the Profile Management window, create a new profile, and make any changes you wish. You can then swap between those profiles at any time in the management window. 
  
Profiles can also be copied from character to character, even across servers. Just choose "Create from existing Profile" when making a new profile, and you will be shown a list of all the profiles for all characters you have on all servers. 
  
When you first log in, your first character will automatically map your existing user settings to the new profile. On first login of an alternate character, you will be asked if you would like to start with a default profile or use the profile of an existing character.

Please note that this is only the first iteration of the character profile system. We are working to add new features, including the ability to save keybindings as part of the profile.
I must say, I'm blown away. Flabbergasted. Utterly amazed. It's as though somebody over at Mythic took my post and said, "Here's the requirements for this feature." In short, this is totally awesome! I know, the character profile feature is a natural extension of the customizable UI and addon sets; it wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that Mythic had it on a feature list prior to my February post. But even if that's the case, it's pretty insane that I ended up on the exact same wavelength about what the initial version should look like.

Once again, props to Mythic. I feel like even my small voice can contribute a good idea.


Originally posted at WARnPieces.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. And it's not an April Fools joke!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Oh man, that would stink!

    Come on, Mythic! Don't leave me hanging here...

    ReplyDelete